Saturday, November 24, 2012

Have Any Past Doctors Been Asked Back for ‘Doctor Who’ 50th? Colin Baker Says…











What’s Colin Baker, the sixth man to have played The Doctor on Doctor Who, up to lately? Well, at the moment he’s been carted off to a jungle island near Australia as he’s appearing on the upcoming season of ITV’s I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!, airing tonight. It’s a sure change from the TARDIS, but thankfully the wardrobe is a bit of an improvement. Before Baker shipped off though, Digital Spy grabbed him for a short interview where, of course, discussion of Who‘s 50th Anniversary came up. Has he been asked to return for the special?



No. As far I know, neither of any of my erstwhile colleagues have been asked either.





Bummer. Well, how about the long rumored Doctor Who movie?



I haven't been approached to do a Doctor Who movie. I think they would be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they asked me to do it. All you have to do is hold up a picture of what I look right now and what I look like then and you'd know why.





Baker makes a point here about a big, logistical problem for the possibility of a multi-Doctor storyline to celebrate the golden anniversary: most of the past Doctors just don’t look like they did 20, 30, some 40 years ago. This hasn’t stopped them from reprising their roles in Big Finish’s successful line of Classic Who audio dramas, but television is an unforgiving medium. I still think it’d be neat to involve those actors in other roles, not as past incarnations of The Doctor. I’m sure someone involved could come up with a clever way around a multi-Doctor story that wasn’t actually about multiple Doctors.





Anyway, when asked about a possible cameo, Baker said,



A what? What's a cameo role, darling? Does that mean a small part? Urgh! I suppose I might. I don't know. I find it a bad idea to say what would you do if you were asked, which is why I'm going to say no, I probably wouldn't appear in any movie. They would have to persuade me.





See, clever people working on Doctor Who, if you’re clever enough maybe you could persuade Baker to return.





While Baker make see his involvement with Doctor Who as a thing of the past, it’s good to hear he’s a fan of what’s happening now,



And I absolutely love Matt Smith. When I heard another young [guy] was going to be playing the Doctor, I thought, 'Hmmm... Not another young one. Why don't they have an old geezer again, like me?' Suddenly, along comes this 29 or 28-year-old guy playing a 300-year-old Doctor - and he's brilliant. He encompasses all of the previous doctors and adds a bit himself.





Oops, I think mean something like 1200 year old, but we’ll let it slide. How important to you is having past Doctors involved in the 50th Anniversary?





Source: Doctor Who TV



No comments:

Post a Comment