Friday, November 30, 2012

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn Apologizes for Offensive Blog Post





In a move I’m sure everyone at Disney and Marvel are hoping will quell the lynch mob gunning for Guardians of the Galaxy director, James Gunn, the director has issued an apology through GLAAD. Earlier this week the internet erupted in outrage over misogynistic and homophobic comments Gunn made on his blog almost two years ago that offended many, myself included, and alarmed all. If you’re not aware of the details I suggest you check out our own Jason Tabrys’ fair and balanced (Can I even use that phrase? Has it already been corrupted and copyrighted?) take on the whole ordeal.



Gunn’s statement can be read, in full, below,


A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don't think it's funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I'm sorry and regret making them at all.


People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I'm an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We're all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I'm learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all.



While I wasn’t going to sign a petition to get him kicked off Guardians, I felt confidant Disney would see to this situation. You know this apology happened because some executive in a suit pointed at Gunn and said, “You. Fix this.” But at the same time, I like to be optimistic and think the best of people and I do believe this is a heartfelt apology. This whole debacle only goes to prove you need to be careful with what write on the internet, or publish publicly anywhere. You’ll be held accountable one day and what you thought were harmless, funny jokes turn out be remarks you didn’t consider could be offensive to others. Stop and think, people.



At the same time, these comments Gunn made do reveal an ugliness maybe even Gunn himself didn’t suspect he had. And I can only hope that by the public’s refusal to laugh off these situations and ignore them, we all become more aware of the hateful things that can be said when you’re trying to be a comedian.



Source: Bleeding Cool


No comments:

Post a Comment